domingo, 10 de enero de 2010

Changing my thinking

Dwelling on the negative simply contributes to its power. I am trying to change my thinking. It´s really hard when you´ve shaped yourself into a person, whether meaning to or not, and you figure out that person isn´t really going to help you in the challenges of life. I feel like I´ve put everyone else before me, to the point that Kelsey is lost. No more. I´m putting myself as a priority on the list of my life.


I went to a psychologist to sort of talk through my feelings and not being familiar with him, I was a little hesitant. But by the end of the session, I had gotten something out of it. There was a purpose to what he was asking me about, and you can´t solve a person´s problems in one session. That´s just unrealistic.


We talked about the events of my life, how I feel about them, and what drove me to do this or do that. But really, the things that have happened in my life aren´t things that any normal person can handle without reacting! Emotions and anxiety have a purpose, so I can´t just want to be a person without them. My level of anxiety, though, is kind of extreme, to the point that I sometimes feel overwhelmed

OK, so here´s what I learned and want to apply to my life:
  • Avoid global, generalizing statements. I see that me overgeneralizing about my job made me feel more stressed than I needed to.
  • Recognize the positive. See the negative and think of why it happened.
  • Stress is a result of the amount of change in our lives. Even a person who wins the lottery is going to have stress because that signifies a big change.
  • When you get anxious, think through what is making you anxious. What do you feel threatened about? Are these threats really as big as you are making them?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario