sábado, 13 de marzo de 2010

Feeling in a Julie and Julia mood....

Of course, i haven't read the book (it's on its way) and I haven't seen the movie. But I want to learn how to cook a lot better than I do! I am a feminista but somehow I feel like my skills to feed myself (and whoever one day may depend on me to feed them....) could use improvement. If you knew my last name you'd also understand why. It's Cook (though spelled differently).

Maybe it's the fact that my date on Friday seems to have cooking skills far superior to mine. And he's still in college....I have been out of college for 2 years.....shame on me! There are reasons for said skills on his part and lack thereof on my part. I guess it's just laziness. I have made my share of sandwiches, bowls of cereal, mac and cheese, and burnt pizzas. : (

Below is a broad list of the foods and specific recipes I want to, at some point in my life. I'm starting now!

I actually have made Mexican Lasagna for my fam, as well as occassional easier things to make. As long as I have a recipe I can do quite well. So I know I am capable of achieving it.

Broadly....I wish to learn how to make
• Mexican Dishes
• Spanish Dishes (aka tapas)
• Other Latin-American types of cuisine
• 30 Minute Meals from mi amiga Rachel Ray!
• Asian style cuisine
• Fun appetizers on the chance that one day I may throw a party!
• Yummy drinks, alcoholic or non

Specific Recipes I want to attempt.....here comes a long list....
• Sangria -- I have actually done a nonalcoholic version at the Immersion last summer! Along with tapas that involved french bread, cream cheese, olives, and sardines (eww)
• Paella (Rachel Ray style first....much easier than others)
• Rice and beans mmmmm yum! also Gallo Pinto
• Juevos Ranchersos (I can make eggs! Halfway there!)
• Sesame Noodles
• Spring Rolls (not fried but VIetnamese style cold)
• Hearts of Palm salad.... yum!
• Cheddar Herb Biscuits like from Red Lobster
• tostadas....with chicken or shrimp
• Shrimp Scampi
• Fried Plantains
• Enchiladas
• Eggplant Parmesan
• Tamales
• Crepes (mmm yum!)
• Cerviche (that's way out there but still sounds fun)

Baking (I am less good at this since you have to be more precise in measuring)
• Rosca de los Reyes (Three King's Bread)
• Pan de Muerto (Bread of the Dead)
• Oreo truffles
• Special K bars
• Guava turnovers!
• Empanadas!!!

In general my food tastes lean this way....
• chocolatey
• avacados in anything
• shrimp, seafood, yummyness
• Latino (so I can cook for my future Spanish classes)
• Things with bread, rice, or pasta
• Soups that are yummy!

I'll let you know how I do. Hopefully I can bring some of my dreams of being a Cook who can cook into reality.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario